Newark, NJ – October 22, 2020 – Mayor Ras J. Baraka and Department of Public Works Director Khalif Thomas today announced that the City of Newark started its Leaf Recycling Collection program, and it will continue through Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
Leaf pick-ups will be made on scheduled pickup days between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., except on weekends and holidays.
· Zone A: leaves should be put out on third Wednesday for pickup
· Zone B: leaves should be put out on fourth Wednesday for pickup
“Through the cooperation of our residents, I am confident that we can keep our storm sewers free of leaves and ensure that we can dispose of our leaves in ways that contribute to a more environmentally-friendly Newark,” said Director Thomas.
The Department of Public Works is giving the following tips to residents on removing leaves from your premises:
· Whenever possible, store leaves in a backyard compost bin. This method is preferred to reduce waste at the source.
· Leaves must be placed in a biodegradable paper bag, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. Do not use plastic bags.
· Failure to use a biodegradable paper bag will result in fines and the leaves will not be collected.
· Leaf bags must not contain branches, shrub clippings, or any foreign matter.
· Do not rake or blow leaves into the street. Due to state regulations, all leaves must be bagged in bio-degradable bags and placed at the curb. Failure to comply may result in fines ranging from $100 to a maximum of $1,000.
· Residents wishing to immediately dispose of their leaves may bring the bags to the City recycling depot, located at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., until Wednesday, December 30, 2020.
· If a city resident is using a contracted landscaper for lawn maintenance, the landscaper is responsible for disposing of the leaves. Leaves must be placed in biodegradable bags.
Newark residents aged 62 or over showing proper identification can receive up to 15 brown paper biodegradable bags free-of-charge from the City. The bags may be obtained at the City Recycling Office at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- NEWARK -