Departments & Agencies

Thank you! Your submission has been received!

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form

Commonly asked questions

If my property is located in a residential zone, What uses are permitted?

The following uses are permitted in residential zones:

  • ‍1st Residential = 1-family dwellings,schools.churches
  • 2nd Residential = Same as 1st Residential; plus 2 & 3 family dwellings
  • 3rd Residential = Same 2nd Residential; plus multiple dwellings
  • 4th Residential = Same as 3rd Residential; plus offices on 2 acres of land

How can I find out how my property is zoned?

You may call or visit the Zoning Office(973-733-6333) , with the correct street address of property in question. A staff person will provide you with the specific residential,business, or industrial zone(s) where your property is located.

How can I find out how much I owe in taxes?

Call Customer Service, Mon. thru Fri.(Holidays Excluded) 9:00am to 4:00pm

Taxes: (973) 733-3791, 3792, 3962, 8098, 3978

Water/Sewer:  (973) 733-6370, 6371, 6396, 6479,6483

What is a tax sale?

Standard Tax Sale: When prior years taxes and/or other municipal charges remain owing and due in the current year, pursuant to the above N.J. Statute, the municipality will enforce the collection of those charges by offering same for sale which will cause a Tax Lien Certificate to be sold and filed against the property, and can become subject to foreclosure proceedings if not redeemed timely.

Accelerated Tax Sale: When current years taxes and/or other municipal charges remain owing and due after the statutory due date (Nov 10th.), the municipality may enforce the collection of those charges by offering for sale, the property, which will cause a Tax Lien Certificate to be sold and filed against the property, and will become subject to foreclosure proceedings if not redeemed timely.

What happens if I owe more than one quarter in taxes?

If you owe one, two, or three quarters in taxes the amount due with interest becomes much greater.

Please note: If you pay a portion of your tax bill, the payment will go toward the oldest payment due. For example, if you owe for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd Quarter tax bills and you make a partial payment in September, the payment will go towards the principle and interest owed on your 1stQuarter tax bill.

If you have outstanding tax payments for the prior year, still outstanding in the current year, the property will be subject to TAX SALE pursuant to New Jersey State Law, N.J.S.A. 54:5-19.

What happens if I am late in my tax payment?

If your taxes are paid after the due date (inclusive of the 10 day grace period), interest will be assessed at the rates permissible by law, 8% on the first $1,500.00 and 18% on the remaining balance.

When are tax bills due?

Property taxes are due quarterly:

  • February 1
  • May 1
  • August 1
  • November 1

We  allow a 10 day grace period. Whenever the 10th day falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, the taxes are due on the following business day.

What is the purpose of Property Taxes?

The amount of taxes assessed to support the municipal budget. To operate and maintain the Municipality, provide municipal services such as garbage collection, street lighting, street maintenance and public safety.

What do tax bills consist of?

Your TAX BILLS consists of your Municipal, County and School taxes.

How do I open a business in the City of Newark?

To open and operate a business in the City of Newark, you must have a City of Newark Business License.

The first step in the process to secure a business license is to make sure you have the following documents:

  • Federal Tax Identification NumberAlso known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN), it is used for both Federal and State tax purposes. The only time you do not need an EIN is if your business is a sole proprietorship without employees (other than the owner) and is not required to file excise, alcohol, tobacco, or firearm tax returns. As a sole proprietor, your social security number can be used for business tax purposes.If you do not have an EIN, you must file Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, with the Internal Revenue Service. You can file your application online HERE. The application is also available online in Spanish.
  • Certificate of Incorporation or Partnership Formation DocumentsTo obtain either of these documents, you must file an original formation/authorization certificate with State of New Jersey. More information on the filing process can be found online HERE.
  • State of New Jersey Business Registration CertificateTo do business in the State of New Jersey, an entity must file organizational documents with the State’s Division of Revenue. This requirement applies to profit and non-profit corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships and limited liability companies. You can register your business online with the State HERE.
  • Certificate of Occupancy (COO)You can obtain a copy of the COO immediately from the owner of the building in which your business is located. If the owner is no longer accessible, a copy can be obtained by submitting an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) request at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 415A, City Hall, 920 Broad Street.
  • Valid Driver’s License or State ID CardTo obtain a driver’s license or valid State identification card in New Jersey, you can apply online HERE or in person at the nearest local MVC Agency.

Your next step is to obtain a Business License Application package from the Office of Central Licenses and Permits. In the package will be a list of additional permits and/or certifications you will need to obtain and present along with your application in order to qualify for a business license.

Office of Central Licenses and PermitsCity Hall920 Broad Street, Room B-17Newark, NJ 07102(973) 733-6390

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

How do I get a contract with the City of Newark?

To do business with the City of Newark, you must have a State of New Jersey Business Registration Certificate. You can register your business online with the State HERE.

Click here to Register with the City of Newark Online

Contracts with the City of Newark to provide goods and/or services are available by Bid, RFP or RFQ.

  • Bid Opportunities Vendors submit quotes for products and/or services in response to advertisements released by the Division of Central Purchasing. Contracts are awarded to the Lowest Bid submitted by a Vendor who can provide quality goods and/or services in the right quantity on a timely basis at the lowest cost to the City.To find bid opportunities listed by City department: CLICK HERE
  • RFP/RFQ – Request for Proposals or Qualifications is an invitation for vendors to submit written Proposals or Qualification Statements that meets certain criteria outlined by the City. Contracts are awarded based on a stated set of evaluation criteria.To find RFP/RFQ opportunities listed by City department: CLICK HERE
  • RFEII for Port Newark CLICK HERE

For additional information on the Bid or RFP/RFQ process, please write, call, or visit:

Central Purchasing DivisionFinance Building828 Broad Street, 3rd FloorNewark, NJ 07102,(973) 733-3776Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.