Mayor Ras J. Baraka and Department of Public Works Director Khalif Thomas reminded residents today that the City of Newark’s Leaf Recycling Collection program is ongoing and will continue through Wednesday, December 18, 2019.
Leaf pick-ups will be made throughout the City, between the hours of 6 a.m. and 3 p.m., except on weekends and holidays.
Zone A - leaves should be put out on November 20 and December 18, for pickup (Trash collection days: Monday, Thursday)
Zone B - leaves should be put out on November 27 for pickup (Trash collection days: Tuesday, Friday)
The Department of Public Works is giving the following tips to residents on removing leaves from your premises:
· Whenever possible, store leaves in a backyard compost bin. This method is preferred to reduce waste at the source.
· Leaves must be placed in a bio-degradable paper bag, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. Do not use plastic bags.
Failure to use a bio-degradable paper bag will result in fines and the leaves will not be collected.
· Leaf bags must not contain branches, shrub clippings, or any foreign matter.
· Do not rake or blow leaves into the street. Due to state regulations, all leaves must be bagged in bio-degradable bags and placed at the curb. Failure to comply may result in fines ranging from $100 to a maximum of $1,000.
· Residents wishing to immediately dispose of their leaves may bring the bags to the city recycling depot, located at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., until Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
· If a city resident is using a contracted landscaper for lawn maintenance, the landscaper is responsible for disposing of the leaves. Leaves must be placed in biodegradable bags.
Newark residents aged 62 or over who show proper identification can receive up to 15 brown paper biodegradable bags free-of-charge from the City. The bags may be obtained at the City Recycling Office at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
*Reminder: There is only one bulk pick-up day each month. Bulk items are limited to 10 items per address, regardless of the number of residents or apartments.
Zone A – One bulk pick-up (1st Wednesday of every month: Trash collection days: Monday, Thursday)
Zone B – One bulk pick-up (2nd Wednesday of every month. Trash collection days: Tuesday, Friday)
- NEWARK -