• IN THE NEWS
LAST NIGHT’S PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
• At a time when America was looking to hear where Trump and Biden stood on issues, it turned out to be a chaotic debate.
• When Trump was asked if he was “willing to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to STAND DOWN and not add to the violence in a number of cities” –he instead clearly said “PROUD BOYS, STAND BACK AND STANDBY.”
• That’s equivalent to a pre-emptive war on black and brown people and everyone of good will.
• HOLD THE LINE AND MAKE SURE YOU VOTE ON NOVEMBER 3RD!
• CONGRATULATIONS TO POLICE CHIEF DARNELL HENRY ON HIS RETIREMENT AND 26 YEARS OF SERVICE
• HERE ARE OUR NUMBERS TODAY
33 more positive cases than Monday, and a total of 1,091 since June 30th.
No new deaths; a total of 37 since June 30th.
A total of 205,275 positive cases, which is 1,727 more than Monday, September 28.
A total of 14,335 deaths, which is 20 more than Monday, September 28.
• FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
Mayor Baraka thanked the volunteers for helping pack and deliver meals for our food relief program.
If anyone needs food or knows someone who needs food, please let us know.
The next food delivery will be next Wednesday.
• POP-UP TESTING AND CENSUS SITES (3:30-8PM)
Wednesday, September 30:
Oliver Street School
East Kinney St. & McWhorter St.
Friday, October 2:
West Side High School
403 South Orange Ave.
Monday, October 5:
Mt. Prospect Ave. & 2nd Ave.
Wednesday, October 7:
355 Osborne Terrace
Friday, October 9:
Dr. William H. Horton Elementary School
291 N 7th St.
• COMPLETE THE CENSUS
Secretary of Commerce said the 2020 Census will end October 5 (this coming Monday), even though a federal judge ruled that the Census count could continue until October 31st.
As of today we are 50% counted (self counted) so if you haven’t completed the Census be sure to do it by Monday.
Ways to complete the Census:
• Newark Public Library
Main branch this Friday and Monday between 11:30AM and 2:30PM
• Pop-Up Sites
844-330-2020 for English
844-468-2020 for Spanish
844-474-2020 for Portuguese
844-477-2020 for Haitian Creole
• LARGE GATHERINGS HOTLINE
Continue to call the hotline to report large gatherings, large groups not practicing social distancing, and crowds not wearing masks
Hotline is 973-969-1122 (4PM-12AM)
• STATE OF THE CITY
The State of the City address takes place one week from today—Wednesday, October 7 at 7PM.
This year with it being virtual, we’re giving out Safety Packs to residents planning to watch the event with their family.
Inbox any of our social media accounts (or email us at MaskUpNewark@newarknj.gov) and let us know of your intentions to host a watch event with your family and the City will provide you with up 10 masks and safety tips on how to keep you and your family safe if you host a watch party.
Bags will be available for pickup at City Hall on Monday (October 5), Tuesday (October 6) and Wednesday (October 7) from 11AM to 3PM.
However, you must make an appointment prior to arriving at City Hall. We will provide you with additional details upon confirmation.
Repost/Share the State of the City flyer and tag 5 friends or family and you will be entered to win a gift bag with additional goodies to enjoy while you watch the SOTC.
• NEWARK LGBTQ CENTER TOWN HALL—TONIGHT
Tune it at 6PM for a town hall with Newark Police Department on the myriad of ways to learn to protect, serve and engage the LGBTQ community.
Live on our Facebook page
• ALSO TONIGHT—AT 6:30PM – NEWARK PUBLIC LIBRARY WILL HOST THE ANNUAL PHILIP ROTH LECTURE
To register go to NPL.ORG (it’s virtual and free)
The 22nd United States Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith will speak on the role of art in the struggle for racial justice
• CLOSING AND BLESSINGS