March 20, 2020 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
• Confirmed cases:
As of today Newark has 26 confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19), Essex County has 73, and New Jersey has 890.
• Efforts to help our residents without addresses (homeless):
We have been working to put procedures in place to maximize their safety. We are continuing outreach to get as many of our homeless off the street and into sheltering. To accomplish this, over the next couple of days we’ll be providing N95 masks and gloves to personnel in the outreach and engagement organizations, homeless shelters, and for Integrity House to keep them safe. We are also working out arrangements for quarantine locations should any of our homeless either test positive or have been tested and need to quarantine while awaiting results. Additionally, we are developing protocols that will guide shelters in dealing with homeless residents that are either positive or need to be tested.
If a homeless person is ill, then than the person can be referred to our FQHC for evaluation and the number is 800-734-7083. If seriously ill or if it’s after hours, then persons can be referred to a hospital.
• Support for small businesses:
In the coming week, Mayor Baraka will create a fund for small businesses in Newark. The goal of the fund will be to provide grants up to $10,000 per business to help them address revenue losses to COVID-19.
• He knows that his order to close down businesses at 8 pm on March 18, 2020 will impact Newark business owners and Newark families and he wants to help them reopen when the time comes. The small business fund will be seeded with local funds and Mayor Baraka is looking for philanthropic and corporate partners to step in as well.
• Also, the City of Newark is working closely with State Legislators, the Governor’s Office and our Federal Delegation to ensure programs and resources to support New Jersey’s business community during the COVID-19 outbreak. First know, there is a large stimulus package coming from the federal government with substantial funds dedicated directly to small businesses. This is is being tracked closely and updates will be provided as needed.
• All information for businesses is available on the State’s dedicated COVID-19 Business Information Hub: https://cv.business.nj.gov.
• In addition, there is a COVID-19 JOBS & HIRING PORTAL: https://jobs.covid19.nj.gov/intake
• They want to hear your voices and want to know exactly what you need. The State has created a SMALL-TO-MEDIUM ENTERPRISE (SME) FINANCIAL ASSSITANCE SURVEY. The survey can be accessed at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CVSupport
• Free food packages:
Newark Emergency Services for Families is distributing FREE food packages and all Essex County Residents are welcome! You can pick them up from 982 Broad Street in Newark from 9am to 3pm.