Key Points from March 19, 2020 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update:
• Another Newark resident has succumb to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We send our condolences and remain determined to help get us through this.
• To date, Newark has 15 confirmed cases.
• There were and are some questions about what can be open and what cannot.
Can Remain Open up Until the 8 PM Curfew:
Bodegas (as long as they sell food and essential goods)
Auto mechanic shops
Wireless/cell phone retail stores
Check cashing locations
Restaurants for Take Out and/or Delivery ONLY
Can Stay Open Past the 8 PM Curfew FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY:
Transportation including Uber, Lyft, and Taxi cabs (for emergencies or people going to and from work)
Must Remain Closed Until Further Notice:
Clothing Stores (shoe stores)
Beauty supply stores
Businesses that are NOT RETAIL are not affected by the order but are encouraged to practice social distancing, for example manufacturers and call centers.
• If there is a business you know of that is still open but should not be, let us know at (973) 733-6000 or (973) 733-4311.
• We are working with Federal and State government to help provide relief funds for small businesses.
• We are mapping positive cases and quarantine cases by zip code and neighborhood to see if there are any patterns and to help determine what additional steps to take.