• NO NUMBERS TO REPORT TODAY
Unfortunately, there are statewide system issues and no numbers to report today.
• CONTACTING GOV. PHIL MURPHY
Thank you to Gee Cureton (Newark West Ward District 13 Leader and Community Advocate) and to everyone who has reached out to Gov. Phil Murphy on behalf of the residents of Newark – in support of my request for passengers arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport from the 22 high risk states – to have their temperatures checked when landing, be quarantined, and to fill out forms for contact tracing.
To submit a letter online, please go to: NJ.GOV/GOVERNOR/CONTACT
Or call 609-292-6000
Thank you for continuing to wear your masks even in the heat.
Please encourage everyone to do the same, because it’s working and you have the power to keep people safe.
• POP-UP TESTING AND CENSUS LOCATIONS (3:30-8PM):
We have been battling COVID-19 for more than 4 months and we need you to PLEASE GET TESTED!
Wearing masks and testing is what will continue to save us and will help us beat it.
Today, we’re at Betty Shabazz Village until 8PM. Come out!
Wednesday, July 22nd – Colonnade Apartments (25 Clifton Ave)
Thursday, July 23rd – Bloomfield Ave and Garside St.
Friday, July 24th – George Washington Carver Elementary School Playground (333 Clinton Place)
Monday, July 27th – King’s Family Restaurant (557 Clinton Avenue)
Wednesday, July 29th – Science High School (260 Norfolk Street)
Friday, July 31st – JFK Recreational Center (211 West Kinney Street)
Census is equally important!
Today, the White House issued a statement that says Trump is “directing the Secretary of Commerce to exclude illegal aliens from the apportionment base following the 2020 census.”
So this is even more reason for everyone to complete the Census and for immigrants to not be discouraged.
If you’re not a US Citizen, complete it anyway!
Call 844-468-2020 for Spanish,
844-477-2020 for Portuguese,
844-477-2020 for Creole,
844-330-2020 for English.
• FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
Please remember to leave your information if you or someone you know needs food. We’ll be delivering meals tomorrow.
• SUMMER FUN MOVIE NIGHTS
Come out tonight for the Summer Fun Movie Night-- KNIVES OUT, in Military Park.
Tomorrow, we’re showing GOING IN STYLE, at Kretchmer Elderly.
They both start at 7PM and are free.
Wear your masks and practice social distancing; bring your chairs and blankets to sit on.
• REMINDER ABOUT OUR UPCOMING VIRTUAL MEETINGS
Tomorrow, July 22nd – Reminder to join the Pabst Blue Ribbon Site Community Meeting – at 7PM
• To learn about the plans proposed for the site on South Orange Ave.
• You can tune in right here on our City of Newark Facebook Page.
Thursday, July 23rd – The State of Communities of Color Virtual Town Hall Discussion – at 11AM
• You won’t want to miss this emergency national conversation with: Angela Rye, Color of Change’s Rashad Robinson, Jackson, Mississippi Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba, Stockton, California Mayor Michael Tubbs, Compton, California Mayor Aja Brown.
• We’ll examine what is happening in communities of color, what this moment means for our communities and what should be done to simultaneously tackle three of our nation’s greatest trials:
1. Our ability to plan, prepare and implement strategies to tackle Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
2. Systemic racism that pervades every aspect of our society.
3. The 2020 Presidential election will be the true test for our cities in this moment.
• This Thursday at 11AM Live on our Facebook Page.
• COMMUNITY CLEAN UP
This Saturday – July 25th – South Ward Community Clean Up
• Pick-up supplies at:
Clinton Ave Community Sound Stage (Clinton Ave and Peshine Ave)
Bo Porter Sports Complex (378 Lyons Ave)
Mayor will share dumpster locations tomorrow.
• TUNE IN TOMORROW – FB LIVE GUEST
Superintendent Roger León will join the Mayor for a discussion about school and education
Tune in at 5PM (July 22nd)
• Closing and blessings