• Here are our numbers in Newark—
0 more positive cases than yesterday; a total of 256 since start date of 6/30/20.
0 new deaths; a total of 7 since start date of 6/30/20.
The number of State positive cases is 176,963, which is 129 more than yesterday. The number of State deaths is 13,741, which is 12 more than yesterday.
It’s hot outside but remember to wear your mask.
Try to spend more time inside than out in the heat.
And if you are outside and need to catch your breath… practice social distancing before taking your mask off for a minute and then put it back on.
The more committed we are to wearing our masks, the sooner we can win this fight against COVID.
So make sure you have a mask. Make sure everyone you know has a mask. And wear your mask.
Also, please help us spread the word about the power of wearing masks. Go to our website and download the #MaskUpNewark social media cards that you can post on your page.
And you can still send in your photos wearing a mask to be included in the #MaskUpNewark campaign. Email us at: MASKUPNEWARK@NEWARKNJ.GOV
• Mayor Ras J. Baraka is asking the federal Transportation Security Administration, the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey, and Governor Phil Murphy to order all passengers arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport from the 22 states designated as high-risk COVID-19 areas to have their temperatures checked, be quarantined if they have coronavirus symptoms, and fill out forms for potential contact tracing.
• POP-UP TESTING AND CENSUS LOCATIONS (3:30-8PM):
Monday, July 20th – NJ Regional Day School-334 (Lyons Avenue)
Tuesday, July 21st – Betty Shabazz Village
Wednesday, July 22nd – Colonnade Apartments (25 Clifton Ave)
Thursday, July 23rd – Bloomfield Ave and Garside St.
Friday, July 24th – George Washington Carver Elementary School Playground (333 Clinton Place)
Monday, July 27th – King’s Family Restaurant (557 Clinton Avenue)
Wednesday, July 29th – Science High School (260 Norfolk Street)
Friday, July 31st – JFK Recreational Center (211 West Kinney Street)
• FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
Our food relief program continues.
If you or someone you know needs food, please leave your information in the comments. The next food delivery will be this Wednesday.
• SUMMER FUN MOVIE NIGHTS
Our Summer Fun Movie Nights continue--
• Tomorrow’s movie:
o KNIVES OUT, shown in Military Park at 7PM
• Wednesday, July 22nd the movie is:
o GOING IN STYLE, shown at Kretchmer Elderly at 7PM
It’s FREE, social distancing guidelines will be followed, and you must wear your masks.
Bring your chairs and blankets.
• UPCOMING VIRTUAL MEETINGS
This Wednesday, July 22nd – Pabst Blue Ribbon Site Community Meeting
• Learn about the plans proposed for the site of the old Pabst Blue Ribbon Brewery on South Orange Ave; 7PM on our City of Newark Facebook Page; This is the opportunity to ask questions and get answers.
Thursday, July 23rd – The State of Communities of Color Virtual Town Hall Discussion
• Join Mayor Baraka, Angela Rye, and Color of Change’s Rashad Robinson as they host a discussion with Jackson, Mississippi, Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba; Stockton, California, Mayor Michael Tubbs; and Compton, California, Mayor Aja Brown to address issues facing our communities this Thursday at 11AM Live on our Facebook Page
• COMMUNITY CLEAN UP
This Saturday – July 25th – South Ward Community Clean Up
• Pick-up supplies at:
o Clinton Ave Community Sound Stage (Clinton Ave and Peshine Ave)
o Bo Porter Sports Complex (378 Lyons Ave)
• NIGHT COLLECTION FOR ZONE A BEGINS AUGUST 2ND
Night Collection for Zone A begins in 2 weeks
For these areas your normal collection days are Monday and Thursday – and beginning August 2nd you will now need to put out your garbage the night before between 6PM and 10PM
So that means putting it out on Sunday and Wednesday nights
Please follow our City of Newark Department of Public Works Facebook page for regular updates
• Closing and blessings