Here are our numbers in Newark and New Jersey—
This is the first day that we have 0 new cases and 0 new deaths.
Our Health Department reviewed the numbers and most address updates are coming from nursing homes. So as the residents’ addresses get updated, the changes are reflected in our Newark numbers.
The number of State positive cases is 176,501, which is 223 more than yesterday.
The number of State deaths is 13,691, which is 31 more than yesterday.
- COVID IS ALL OVER THE WORLD
- There are 215 countries that have positive cases.
- This forum/Facebook Live is for us to fight against COVID-19.
- Texas, California and Florida makes up about 19% of the world’s cases and a third of all United States cases.
- Florida’s death rate went up 84%; more positive cases now than 100 different countries. They had more cases in one day than the entire country had in two months.
- Remember today starts our 60 days of wearing masks and encouraging everyone to wear theirs. On September 16th we’re going to assess our progress – and hopefully cancel out COVID.
- Why 60 days? That’s what the CDC has said if the country wore masks for four to six weeks we could halt the virus.
- Mayor showed residents how to make a mask and also encouraged people to Google how to make one.
- We have the power to not only help ourselves but to protect the lives and health of family, friends, neighbors and our city.
- We need everyone to go get tested. It’s free for Newark residents.
- Reminder that we’re at School Stadium through tomorrow - by the clock tower on the Bloomfield Ave side from 9AM-4PM.
- There’s testing at Grace West Townhomes (Clubhouse-301 Irvine Turner Blvd) until Friday as well from 9AM-4PM.
- We still have our regular testing locations where you can go. Visit www.newarkcovid19.com/programs/testing for the locations.
POP-UP TESTING AND CENSUS LOCATIONS (3:30-8PM):
- Tomorrow, July 17th – Aspen River Park Apartments (17 Oxford Street)
- Saturday, July 18th – Congress Street (between Market and Ferry Streets)
- Monday, July 20th – NJ Regional Day School-334 (Lyons Avenue)
- Tuesday, July 21st – Betty Shabazz Village
- Wednesday, July 22nd – Colonnade Apartments (25 Clifton Ave)
- Thursday, July 23rd – Bloomfield Ave and Garside St.
- Friday, July 24th – George Washington Carver Elementary School Playground (333 Clinton Place)
- The Census is easy to fill out and we need everyone to complete it including your family and friends.
- So when this ends, please take a couple of minutes to make some calls to ask your friends and family to complete theirs.
- Or call 844-330-2020 for English, 844-468-2020 for Spanish, 844-474-2020 for Portuguese, 844-477-2020 for Creole
- FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
- If you need food, please leave your info in the comments so that we can add you to the list for next Wednesday’s delivery.
- community clean up
- This Saturday, July 18th – North Ward Community Clean Up
Pick up supplies from
Vince Lombardi Center of Hope
(201 Bloomfield Avenue)
- Summer Avenue and Verona Avenue
- Broadway and Chester Avenue
- Highland Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue
- Roseville Avenue and 2nd Avenue
- Garside Street and 3rd Avenue
- Summer Avenue and Elwood Avenue
- Parker Street and Bloomfield Avenue
- North 6th Street and Davenport Avenue
- North 5th Street and Bloomfield Avenue
- Irving Street and Broadway
Then we’ll start the 2nd round of the Community Clean Ups on July 25th:
- July 25th – South Ward
- August 1st – East Ward
- August 8th – West Ward
- August 15th – Central Ward
- August 22nd – North Ward
VIRTUAL EVENT GIVEN BY BETH ISRAEL—
COVID-19: Life After the Curve Has Flattened: Practical Tips from the Physicians at Newark Beth Israel
- This evening at 6 p.m. Newark Beth Israel Medical Center is hosting a webinar, free to the public, to provide the community with an update on our COVID-19 response as well as tips/advice from our physicians on how we can continue to protect ourselves from the virus.
- To register, you can click on the link on our Facebook page – OR you can go directly to their page: NewarkBethIsraelMedicalCenter
- Closing and blessings
Mayor shared a quote from Amilcar Cabral:
“Always bear in mind that the people are not fighting for ideas, for the things in anyone’s head. They are fighting to win material benefits, to live better and in peace, to see their lives go forward, to guarantee the future of their children. . .”