• Following are our numbers for Newark:
11 new positive cases (yesterday we had 20 so that brings us up to 31)
2 new deaths (yesterday there were no new deaths)
• LAUNCHING OUR #MASKUPNEWARK CAMPAIGN
We’re launching our MaskUpNewark campaign to stress the importance of wearing a mask.
• YOU have the POWER to keep people safe.
• Together we have the power to stop the spread of COVID-19.
• We want our city to stay open and get back to normal as quickly as possible, but it depends on you.
• Masks are important and Mayor Baraka will continue to remind people to wear masks.
• FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
Today, we continued with our food distribution to families.
To date, we have served more than 695,000 meals and including the 600,000 that Newark Public Schools has served, we’ve served more than 1.2 million meals.
If you or someone you know needs food, please leave your information in the comments. The next food delivery will be next Wednesday.
• SECOND ROUND OF EMERGENCY FUNDING FOR SMALL BUSINESSES (HOME-BASED BUSINESSES)
• A second round of emergency funding for small businesses and microenterprises that have been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic is now available.
• This round will provide working capital grants in amounts up to $10,000 to qualifying home-based small businesses in Newark and can be utilized for accounts payable, payroll, inventory, equipment, business compliance, licensing renewal, utilities, business capacity, legal, financial services, rent, insurance, business taxes, supplies or most business-related items, subject to funding availability.
• The deadline to apply is July 13, 2020.
• Local small business owners may be eligible to apply by meeting the following conditions, including having a home-based business with a physical establishment located in Newark; having 10 employees or less; evidence of direct loss or losses due to COVID-19; providing state or federal corporate registration or licenses, among other qualifications.
• For more information about eligibility, visit: https://uwnewark.org/covid19/organizations/.
• REMINDER: POP-UP COVID-19 TESTING AND CENSUS SITES FROM 3:30-8PM
Wednesday July 1st - Independence Park (218 Van Buren Street)
Friday July 3rd - School Stadium (541 Roseville Ave)
Tuesday, July 7th - Mildred Helms Park (534-544 Clinton Avenue)
Wednesday, July 8th - Raphael Hernandez Elementary School Parking Lot (345 Broadway)
• REMINDER: Census and Register to Vote
Please complete the Census.
Call 844-330-2020 or fill out the paper form sent by mail
• Closing and blessings
Mayor read an excerpt from the Supreme Court ruling on Dred Scott vs. Sandford – 1857