• In follow-up to the Storm: PSE&G is working hard to restore everyone’s power.
o We had approximately 19,000 homes without power but as of this morning 7,000 restored.
o Trees will be removed as long as there is no electrical hazard first (by PSE&G).
o Please call 973-733-6000 to remove down trees.
o PSE&G has set up a mobile Customer Service Center in Newark in Branch Brook Park, providing water and ice to affected residents.
o It was open today, and will also be open again tomorrow and Friday from 9AM to 5PM. Located in the Stephen Adubato parking lot off of Park Avenue.
o Let us know if you need food and cannot get out – seniors first.
• HERE ARE OUR NUMBERS TODAY—
12 more positive cases than yesterday, and a total of 416 since the start date of June 30th.
No new deaths, and a total of 26 since the start date of June 30th.
183,327 positive cases, which is 357 more than yesterday.
13,989 deaths, which is 7 more than yesterday.
• FOOD RELIEF PROGRAM
Today, we continued with our food distribution to families. Thank you to our volunteers who help us out at JFK.
To date, we have served more than 1,022,341 during the pandemic (and close to 2 million including Newark Public Schools breakfast and lunch program).
The next delivery will be next Wednesday so if you need food or know someone who does, please let us know by leaving info in the comments or sending us a message.
• POP-UP TESTING AND CENSUS LOCATIONS
Today, we’re at West Side Park (16th Ave. & 13th St.) until 8PM
Friday, August 7th – Clinton Ave. Sound Stage (Corner of Clinton & Peshine Avenues)
Monday, August 10th – Elliott Street Elementary School (721 Summer Ave)
Wednesday, August 12th – Zion Hill Baptist Church - parking lot (152 Osborne Terrace)
Friday, August 14th – Oliver Street School (East Kinney St. & McWhorter St.)
Reminder to complete your Census at www.2020CENSUS.GOV or by calling 844-330-2020
• SUMMER FUN MOVIE NIGHT
Come out for tonight’s Summer Fun Movie Night: CROOKLYN, being shown at the Clinton Avenue Sound Stage at 7PM
• REMINDER: JOIN US FOR THE “NATIONAL DIALOGUE ON REIMAGINING PUBLIC SAFETY”
Tonight we’ll discuss solutions to violence and we’ll have a national conversation on defunding the police
Please tune in!
It starts at 6PM here on Facebook Live
• REMINDER: FRIDAY’S “COMBATING VIOLENCE AMID COVID-19” VIRTUAL COMMUNITY TOWN HALL MEETING
This Friday, join us on Zoom or Facebook to talk about how we as a community can work together with law enforcement and the Office of Violence Prevention and Trauma Recovery to fight against violence in our city
We’ll begin at 5PM (sharing the COVID-19 numbers of course before we get into the discussion)
• SUNDAY, THE CITY IS GOING TO CLOSE DOWN AT 8PM
• REMINDER: COMMUNITY CLEAN UP
This Saturday, August 8th – West Ward Community Clean Up
• Pick-up supplies at:
Boylan Recreation Center (916 S. Orange Avenue)
• Dumpster Locations:
1. Cliff Street (between Richelieu Terrace and Oakland Terrace)
2. Norwood Street (near S. Orange Avenue)
3. Woodbine Avenue (at Tuxedo Parkway)
4. Mountainview Place (at Sanford Avenue)
5. Palm Street (at Sanford)
6. 4th Street (between Central Ave and West Market Street)
7. 12th Avenue (near 10th Street)
8. 6th Street and S. Orange Avenue
9. 9th Avenue (at 9th Street)
10. Grand Avenue (at S. Orange Avenue)
Next Saturday, August 15th - Central Ward
Saturday, August 22nd - North Ward
• Closing and blessings