• As of today, here are our numbers:
3,479 positive cases (yesterday: 3,247)
213 deaths (yesterday: 192)
o Essex County:
9,084 positive cases
o New Jersey:
75,317 positive cases
o More than 53,000 people have recovered out of 666,949 cases in the United States
o By Zip Code:
07102 – 132
07103 – 415
07104 – 694
07105 – 436
07106 – 392
07107 – 527
07108 – 282
07112 – 300
07114 – 130
Public Safety Highlight
• Mayor Baraka sent condolences to the family of Danny Francis, Criminal Intelligence Analyst for the Newark Police
• Mayor Baraka expressed gratitude for Fire fighter Steve Wolf, and condolences to him and 3 other fire fighter brothers, their 77 year old mother passed from COVID-19. In spite of the loss he continues to lead the cooking for Engine 7 Firehouse as they prepare meals for seniors
Food Relief Programs Continue
• Engine 7 Firehouse prepares 50 meals for seniors every day and food for the hospitals once per week
• ShopRite giftcards are available
8AM – 4PM
To date have given more than 3,000 gift cards
• Breakfast and lunch at the 16 NPS locations (www.nps.k12.nj.us/)
REMINDER: Be Still Mondays
• This coming Monday, Be Still Mondays will be in effect, where we are asking everyone to please be still.
Businesses close, etc.
• Garbage collection will be collected on Sunday night so put out your garbage before 10pm
Newark Public Library has some good programming
• Visit the Library at www.npl.org
• Email email@example.com
• Phone (973) 733-7779
• Text (201) 563-1034
• Some library services include:
--how to request COVID-19 relief resources
--social service counseling
--twice daily story time for children via Facebook
--Sign Language Classes
--getting and renewing library cards
• And there are movies, documentaries, e-books... upcoming author talks...much more... so don't forget about the Library
• Shout out ot Thyson who has a beginner sign language class every Tuesday from 10-11AM on the Library’s FB Live page.
REMINDER: Website for COVID-19 Help
• Reminder to check out our new website to stay updated on COVID-19 programs and helpful information.
• Visit www.newarknj.gov and it will take you there.
• Bulk and yard waste collection is cancelled in the entire city until further notice. Regular household waste and recyclables collection will continue. And it’s important for people to keep the front of their properties clean. Love your block. If you have any questions, please call 973-733-3411.
REMINDER: 2020 Census
• Reminder to complete the Census and thanks to everyone who has thus far. Please encourage your friends and family to do the same.
REMINDER: This Friday’s Facebook Live
• Reminder to tune into tomorrow to hear from:
o The Honorable Albio Sires, U.S. Congress
o The Honorable Donald M. Payne, U.S. Congress
o Commissioner Robert Asaro-Angelo,
NJ Department of Labor & Workforce Development Commissioner
o Deputy Mayor Rahaman Muhammad, City of Newark
Important information to help you navigate through these times
Tonight on WBGO
• Tune into 88.3FM or wbgo.org
• Mayor Baraka referenced an upcoming press conference to discuss the current “Strength of Municipal Services,” with the pressing need for more support from the federal government. He also encouraged residents to do “their” part by contacting their local and state representatives as well.
• Mayor Baraka has also invited NJ Gov. Phil Murphy to appear on next weeks (COVID-19) Facebook Live.
Continued Social Distancing
• Mayor Baraka stressed the importance of continued social distancing and the deadly effects if ended too soon. He specifically noted the 1918 “parade” in Philadelphia, PA.
• The Washington Post | What happens if parades aren’t canceled during pandemics? Philadelphia found out in 1918, with disastrous results.
Hold The Line
• Mayor Baraka praised NJ Gov. Phil Murphy on his stance to help diminish the spread of COVID-19 in the State of New Jersey.
• FOX NEWS | Tucker Carlson presses Gov. Phil Murphy, D-NJ, on why he allowed arrests at religious services. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7SglDjeOM
Poem and blessings
• Don't Quit by John Greenleaf Whittier