The City of Newark will hold a series of community meetings in all five of the City’s wards, to discuss how Newark is addressing the water lead service line replacement issue. The meetings begin today, Thursday, January 23, at NAN Tech World, 400 Hawthorne Avenue, in the South Ward. All meetings will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
At the meetings, municipal officials from the Department of Water and Sewer Utilities will brief residents on the progress the City is making in removing lead service lines and replacing them with copper ones. Since beginning the program in 2019, Newark has replaced more than 5,000 of an estimated 18,000 lead lines. The City expects to accomplish the task at no cost to residents.
Residents will have an opportunity to ask questions at these meetings, and give input.
LIST OF MEETINGS. All meetings take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• South Ward: Thursday, January 23, NAN Newark Tech World, 400 Hawthorne Avenue
• Central Ward: Monday, January 27: Humanity Baptist Church, 235 Bergen Street
• East Ward: Tuesday, January 28: Casa Do Mino Social Club, 111 St. Charles Street
• West Ward: Wednesday, January 29: Family Manor Restaurant, 795 Sanford Avenue
• North Ward: Tuesday, February 4: Third Presbyterian Church, 395 Ridge Street
WHO: Newark Municipal Officials, Water and Sewer Utilities Office, Newark People’s Assembly
WHAT: Will hold a series of community meetings in all five of the City’s wards, to discuss how Newark is addressing the water and lead service line issues, and the tools that residents can use to assist in the process.