Mayor Ras J. Baraka today announced that the City of Newark will join with the First Lady Linda Baraka and his women’s initiatives including My Sister’s Keeper, Women’s Commission, Shani Baraka Center, and Women’s Leadership meetings to host a virtual “Newark Women’s Day of Wellness” on Thursday, May 28, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. To register and see the full program, please visit: https://newarkwomen.eventbrite.com. Deadline to register is Wednesday, May 27.
In the event, expert speakers from a wide array of fields will address subjects of importance to women, including health, parenting, pre-natal care, money management, personal and internet safety during COVID-19, and relationships. There will also be a 1:30 p.m. “Praise Break” and a 5:30 p.m. “Happy Hour” with a DJ playing music with a virtual cocktail session. A schedule follows.
“With the support of our partners, we are continuing our efforts in this difficult time to empower Newark’s women with the tools they need for personal and business success,” Mayor Ras J. Baraka said. “We have assembled an outstanding collection of leaders, activists, and advocates to share their ideas and wisdom on how our city’s women can turn the challenge of COVID-19 into an opportunity to advance themselves and Newark.”
“I am thrilled to help support women in the city of Newark by leveraging all of the various initiatives and programs that support women’s spiritual, financial, physical and mental health and wellness, especially during this critical time,” said First Lady Linda Baraka.
SCHEDULE FOR “WOMEN’S WELLNESS DAY:”
• 9 a.m. Being Present. Morning Mindfulness and Meditation. Hosted by Jennifer Kohl, Lotus Yoga + Meditation Mentors; Alana Renee, Newark Women’s Commission.
• 10:30 a.m. Safe Space: Keeping Your Home & Body Safe During COVID. Hosted by Dr. Chris Pernell, University Hospital; Lakeesha Eure, Office of Violence Prevention; Josephine C. Garcia, Newark Board of Education; Dr. Janice Johnson, Grassroots Community Foundation.
• 12 p.m. Bossing Up: Managing Money, Business & Life During Uncertainty. Hosts: Harvetta Lynch, PNC Bank; Dee Marshall, Diverse and Engaged; Kathy Dowtin, Shani Baraka Center; Alexandra Simmons, Think Like A Boss.
• 1:30 p.m. Praise Break. Hosts: Rev. Louise Scott-Rountree; Carolyn Whigham, Whigham Funeral Home; Rev. Lula Baker.
• 2:30 p.m. Protect your ‘Net Worth. A Guide to Building and Protecting Your Online Presence. Hosts: Alexis Trusty, My Sister’s Keeper, Moderator; Lynn Hobson, Author, Publicist, Professor; Carolyn Warren.
• 3:30 p.m. Womb Wellness. Guidance on Creating Peace Within and Tips on Increasing Personal Wellness, Starting With Your Womb. Host: Dawn Haynes.
• 4 p.m. New Normal. A “Girls Talk” About Relationships, Finding Balance, and Parenting. Hosts: Linda Baraka; Tamara Remedios, Newark Pulse; Jheryn Kenney, LinkedIn; LaMonica McIver, Newark Municipal Councilmember; Aisha Glover, President and CEO, Newark Alliance; Tyneisha Gibbs, 144th and Vine LLC.
• 5:30 p.m. Happy Hour: Local DJ spins live and a virtual lesson from local mixologist cocktail session. Hosts: DJ Marcy DePina; Desiree Hadley.
- NEWARK -