Role and Responsibilities
Under administrative guidance, the Tax Assessor, supervises and directs the division's activities and staff responsible for the appraisal and assessment of properties throughout the City; performs other related tasks as required:
- Responsible for the appraisal and assessment of land, buildings, as well as taxable and exempt properties.
- Supervises employees of the department. Makes recommendations to superiors concerning disciplinary measures, promotions, and appointments of assigned employees.
- Examines and processes abatement and exemption applications, including senior citizen and veteran deductions.
- Evaluates and supervises the inspections of real property including new construction and demolition.
- Inspects and examines deeds and sale documents. Processes and implements added assessments.
- Prepares data and information for the governing body on all matters concerning the appraisal and assessment of property.
- Prepares and defends county and state tax court level assessment appeals.
- Establishes and maintains suitable property records, lists, tax duplicates, and other such documents, instruments and reports as may be required by law.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Five (5) years of municipal experience in assessing or appraising residential, commercial, and/or industrial real property, three (3) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity. Applicant must possess a Certified Tax Assessor and Appraisal license.
- Knowledge of office methods, practices, routines, and established policies, procedures, regulations relevant to the department and upkeep of tax maps.
- Knowledge of New Jersey State and municipal laws, rules, policies, and procedures for tax assessments.
- Knowledge of how to compose clear, concise, and appropriate letters in accord with established policies, procedures, and regulations.
Ability to: comprehend office methods, practices, routines, machines, equipment, internal organization, policies, procedures, and regulations; organize assigned technical and supervisory work and develop effective work methods; and provide assignments and instructions to staff, supervising their work performance.
Please send Resume to email@example.com