Invest Newark is in an exciting phase of growth and is seeking a Senior Vice President of Lending and Capital Attraction who will be responsible for business development, loan originations and identifying new sources of capital for lending. As a nonprofit lender, this is a mission-critical role that supports our efforts to positively impact Newark businesses and communities. Primary responsibilities will include identifying opportunities; providing technical assistance to borrowers;initial vetting of projects and financing needs; developing key relationships and partnerships with public and private partners and closing and monitoring loans. This position reports to the President/CEO.
Detailed Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Vice President of Lending and Capital Attraction will be responsible for the following:
- Serve primarily as small business loan and real estate loan originator, including working with borrowers to structure the transaction, conducting due diligence and financial analyses, preparing credit memoranda, and presenting loan recommendations to senior management, loan committees, the Board of Directors.
- Work with Invest Newark partners on the full cycle of activities related to business and real estate-based lending and development, identifying appropriate resources as needed.This includes assessing project feasibility and the financing request, developing financing strategies and helping partners access other forms of capital.
- Manage client relationships along with strategic partners, including for-profit and nonprofit financial institutions and local, state, and national governmental subsidy programs, that could support potential permanent financing structures for Invest Newark’s borrowers.
- Coordinate the receipt of loan applications and supporting documents.
- Structure loan transactions in compliance with internal credit and program requirements with Invest Newark Finance department.
- Prepare materials for staff, loan committee and board review and present loan requests for approval.
- Coordinate loan closing activities with staff, borrowers, and attorneys.
- Monitor compilation of closing documents and maintenance of loan files.
- Maintain accurate loan information in a data management system.
- Communicate with borrowers about loan disbursements, loan payments, and loan monitoring requirements with Invest Newark Finance department.
- Manage and lead negotiations for non-performing loans as necessary.
- Evaluate borrowers and project performance and analyze updated financial information.
- Coordinate/conduct site visits for loan projects.
- Accept special projects in support of the team and community involvement.
Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and background:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as finance, business, and/or public administration, graduate degree in one of these fields is highly beneficial.
- At least seven (7) years of direct commercial lending, ideally at a community development financial institution, a commercial bank or other financial institution.
- Strong knowledge of loan structuring and underwriting, including solid financial analysis skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and demonstrate flexibility and poise in dealing with a diverse range of individuals and organizations.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing individual and organizational relationships, and strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing and negotiating complex transactions and balancing the borrower’s programmatic needs of community-based organizations with sound underwriting judgment and risk mitigation.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, act conscientiously and put organizational impact first.
- Experience with Microsoft office suit required.
- Experience with Executive Pulse or other CRM preferred.
- Newark Resident preferred.
Invest Newark propels the city’s strong and diverse economy, builds vibrant communities, and creates opportunities for all Newarkers.
We are a dedicated team of expert planners, economists, and innovators who are driven to ensure all Newarkers have the resources to thrive. Invest Newark is not a typical development agency: we go above and beyond to support small and minority-owned businesses, invest in world-class internet service, and maintain an intense focus on sustainability.
Invest Newark is an equal opportunity employer.
Invest Newark offers a competitive benefit package.403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Medical, Dental and Vision benefits, Paid time off and Sick Days
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org