To open and operate a business in the City of Newark, you must have a City of Newark Business License.
The first step in the process to secure a business license is to make sure you have the following documents:
- Federal Tax Identification NumberAlso known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN), it is used for both Federal and State tax purposes. The only time you do not need an EIN is if your business is a sole proprietorship without employees (other than the owner) and is not required to file excise, alcohol, tobacco, or firearm tax returns. As a sole proprietor, your social security number can be used for business tax purposes.If you do not have an EIN, you must file Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, with the Internal Revenue Service. You can file your application online HERE. The application is also available online in Spanish.
- Certificate of Incorporation or Partnership Formation DocumentsTo obtain either of these documents, you must file an original formation/authorization certificate with State of New Jersey. More information on the filing process can be found online HERE.
- State of New Jersey Business Registration CertificateTo do business in the State of New Jersey, an entity must file organizational documents with the State’s Division of Revenue. This requirement applies to profit and non-profit corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships and limited liability companies. You can register your business online with the State HERE.
- Certificate of Occupancy (COO)You can obtain a copy of the COO immediately from the owner of the building in which your business is located. If the owner is no longer accessible, a copy can be obtained by submitting an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) request at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 415A, City Hall, 920 Broad Street.
- Valid Driver’s License or State ID CardTo obtain a driver’s license or valid State identification card in New Jersey, you can apply online HERE or in person at the nearest local MVC Agency.
Your next step is to obtain a Business License Application package from the Office of Central Licenses and Permits. In the package will be a list of additional permits and/or certifications you will need to obtain and present along with your application in order to qualify for a business license.
Office of Central Licenses and PermitsCity Hall920 Broad Street, Room B-17Newark, NJ 07102(973) 733-6390
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.