information card

Birth Certificate Requirements

                              APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

   You may apply for a Certified Copy of a birth certificate if you are:

  • You are 18 years old or older
  • The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
  • A child, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate

****ID MUST include your signature and is not expired****

Valid driver's license or Photo ID with current address

Valid driver's license without a photo and ONE alternate form of ID with current address


Two alternate forms of ID- one of which must show your current address:

  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle insurance card
  • Voter registration
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • City of Newark Municipal ID
  • School ID
  • Utility bill (within the previous 90 days)
  • Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
  • W-2 or tax return for current or previous year

If you are requesting records for: 

Your child: If your current name does not match your name as recorded on the birth certificate, you will need to supply a certified copy of your marriage or civil union certificate or legal name change. 

Your spouse/civil union partner: Provide a certified copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.

Your parent(s) or sibling(s): Provide a certified copy of your birth certificate with parents’ names.

Your grandparent(s): Provide a certified copy of your birth certificate (identifying YOUR parent) AND your parent's birth record (identifying YOUR grandparent)

*Any name changes MUST be supported by legal documents (ex: Marriage/ Union Certificate, Legal proof of name change)

If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but you are helping an eligible person receive a certified copy of a vital record, you MUST present:

  • Your valid Photo ID
  • Notarized DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY with signature of registrant


  • Your valid Photo ID
  • Photo ID of registrant (must provide a letter of authorization) 

In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person:

*A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.

Estimated Time to Complete:
Supplements Required:
Costs Associated:
$25 ($4 Each additional copy)