Title: Vermin Control Specialist Opening Date: October 8, 2021
Closing Date: N/A
Salary Range: $51,261.69 - $65,080.28
Location: Health Department
Submit Resume and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be City of Newark Residents.
Newark, the largest municipality in New Jersey with a population of approximately 282,000 residents, is seeking a Vermin Control Specialist within the Division of Environmental Health. Under direction, the Vermin Control Specialist will plan, direct, and perform the work involved in the inspection Surveying and Baiting of various areas within the City of Newark while in compliance with state law, regulations, and standards; does other related duties as required.
VERMIN CONTROL SPECIALIST RESPONSIBILITIES
(The duties that the incumbent of the vacancy will be expected to perform)
- Inspects varied areas to ascertain the need for an exterminator and inspects all work performed by exterminator contractors
- Inspects lots, yards basements, sewers, storm drains, common areas, and dwelling units to determine the presence of insects and/or rodents
- Determines sources of harborage for vermin
- Surveys refuse collection and storage system employed in a building to determine nature, extent and types of vermin causing infestation
- Evaluates effectiveness of performance of individuals in conducting extermination
- Makes Reports on results of inspection duties
- Educates owners, superintendents, and tenants on proper methods of collection and storage of refuse, methods of rodent-proofing areas, exterminations areas, or areas not infested but requiring preventive vermin proofing.
- Educates owners, superintendents, and tenants on proper methods of good community sanitation.
- Determines sanitation code violations and refers to appropriate city inspectors
- Refers tenants to other public health resources
- Will be required to learn to utilize types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office or related units
Two (2) years of experience in work involving the prevention, control, and extermination of insects, animal pests, vermin, and rodents.
Possession of a current, valid certificate as a Commercial Pesticide Applicator or a Commercial Pesticide Operator issued by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection may be required.
Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in the State of NJ only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the duties of the position
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of control and extermination of insects and rodents.
- Knowledge of community sanitation
- Knowledge of human relations
- Ability to understand, remember and carry out oral and written instructions and assignments and to organize assigned work
- Ability to communicate effectively and with people of varied backgrounds
- Ability to prepare reports relative to field activities
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable
- Accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Employees are eligible for participation various voluntary benefits programs and for city-sponsored medical insurance, dental insurance and a prescription drug plan; and are required to participate in the retirement program.
THE CITY OF NEWARK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER