POSITION TITLE: Senior Payroll Clerk (Temp Services)
SALARY RANGE: $32,189.05 - $41,502.10 (35 hrs/weekly)
DEPARTMENT: Health and Community Wellness
REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be City of Newark Residents.
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO: email@example.com
Under general supervision of the Office Supervisor and Chief Clerk or other supervisor, performs the more difficult and complex clerical work relating to the review, verification, and preparation of payroll or personnel records, and/or takes the lead in a small clerical payroll unit; does other related work.
- Reviews and checks payroll or payroll and personnel records, statements, documents, certificates, or time and attendance records.
- Prepares regular, supplemental, and overtime payrolls; adds or deletes employees as required.
- Makes other appropriate changes including union deductions, taxes, charities, and pension.
- Processes pension membership applications, beneficiary changes, retirement and loan applications, as well as health insurance applications and changes.
- Completes unemployment requests for wage and separation information.
- Computes overtime, emergency rates, and leaves of absence requiring the interpretation and application of relevant rules and regulations concerning salary increments, bonuses and authorized deductions.
- Receives regular and supplemental paychecks from Centralized
- Payroll and separates by payroll and region prior to distribution.
- Prepares and processes personnel and/or payroll forms with responsibility for ensuring that all pertinent information has been included and is accurate; ensures that all applicable rules regulations, and procedures are adhered to.
- May keep a daily record showing employees’ arrival time to and departure from work.
- Advises supervisor or management of relevant deadlines, changes in rules and regulations, and related information.
- Handles special requests for information in accordance with prescribed rules and regulations.
- Assists employees in completing and processing forms and applications relating to retirement, insurance, payroll deductions, and record changes.
- Compiles statistical and other data.
- Keeps current with changes in rules and regulations.
- Prepares payroll-related letters, memoranda and reports.
- Assists staff in the development of new and revised personnel and/or payroll policies and procedures.
- Receives, reviews and adjusts complaints.
- Conducts special studies when requested of certain payroll procedures and reports findings.
- Prepares, reviews, checks, and certifies reports, applications and other documents when difficult determinations are required.
- Assists in the maintenance and ensuring confidentiality of records and files.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
One (1) year of experience in work involving processing payroll, or personnel activities
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations concerning salary increments, bonuses, and authorized deductions.
- Knowledge of the common book of accounts and of the procedures used in keeping financial records and checking financial documents.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret rules and regulations and apply them to specific situations.
- Ability to accurately prepare detailed, technical and confidential payroll forms and documents.
- Ability to organize clerical work and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Ability to use various office machines.
- Ability to keep confidential records and files.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.