POSITION TITLE: Senior Payroll Clerk (Temp Services)
SALARY RANGE: $32,189.05 - $41,502.10 (35 hrs/weekly)
DEPARTMENT: Health and Community Wellness
REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be City of Newark Residents.
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO: email@example.com
Under general supervision of a Supervising Payroll Clerk or other supervisor, performs the more difficult and complex clerical work relating to the review, verification, and preparation of payroll or personnel records, and/or takes the lead in a small clerical payroll unit; does other related work.
- Reviews and checks payroll or payroll and personnel records, statements, documents, certificates, or time and attendance records.
- Prepares regular, supplemental, and overtime payrolls; adds or deletes employees as required.
- Makes other appropriate changes including union deductions, taxes, charities, and pension.
- Processes pension membership applications, beneficiary changes, retirement and loan applications, as well as health insurance applications and changes.
- Completes unemployment requests for wage and separation information.
- Computes overtime, emergency rates, and leaves of absence requiring the interpretation and application of relevant rules and regulations concerning salary increments, bonuses and authorized deductions.
- Receives regular and supplemental paychecks from Centralized
- Payroll and separates by payroll and region prior to distribution.
- Prepares and processes personnel and/or payroll forms with responsibility for ensuring that all pertinent information has been included and is accurate; ensures that all applicable rules regulations, and procedures are adhered to.
- May keep a daily record showing employees’ arrival time to and departure from work.
- Advises supervisor or management of relevant deadlines, changes in rules and regulations, and related information.
- Handles special requests for information in accordance with prescribed rules and regulations.
- Assists employees in completing and processing forms and applications relating to retirement, insurance, payroll deductions, and record changes.
- Compiles statistical and other data.
- Keeps current with changes in rules and regulations.
- Prepares payroll-related letters, memoranda and reports.
- Assists staff in the development of new and revised personnel and/or payroll policies and procedures.
- Receives, reviews and adjusts complaints.
- Conducts special studies when requested of certain payroll procedures and reports findings.
- Prepares, reviews, checks, and certifies reports, applications and other documents when difficult determinations are required.
- Assists in the maintenance and ensuring confidentiality of records and files.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
One (1) year of experience in work involving processing payroll, or personnel activities
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations concerning salary increments, bonuses, and authorized deductions.
- Knowledge of the common book of accounts and of the procedures used in keeping financial records and checking financial documents.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret rules and regulations and apply them to specific situations.
- Ability to accurately prepare detailed, technical and confidential payroll forms and documents.
- Ability to organize clerical work and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Ability to use various office machines.
- Ability to keep confidential records and files.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.