POSITION TITLE: Senior Medical Social Worker
SALARY RANGE: $73,365.07 - $96,966.93 (40 hrs/weekly)
DEPARTMENT: Health and Community Wellness
REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be City of Newark Residents.
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Under direction, performs the more difficult social work services; may supervise the work involved in providing medical and social assistance for clients; does other related work.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- May supervise the work performed by Medial Social Workers and other support staff.
- Provides assignments and instructions to medical social workers and other assigned employees.
- Gathers and evaluates data to identify the type of social services needed; identifies programs available to meet needs.
- Participates in meetings and conferences regarding medical social work services.
- Confers with physicians and other professional personnel to discuss the client's comprehensive treatment plan.
- Confers with patients to obtain financial and social information.
- Assists in the analysis and evaluation of social data as it relates to medical problems.
- Consults with other agencies regarding medical social problems affecting the clients.
- Prepares case histories and other special reports on medical social work services.
- Prepares reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Establishes and maintains records and files.
Graduation from an accredited college with a Master's Degree in Social Work.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
One year of experience providing medical social work services.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current medical social work practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of the techniques used to gather, analyze and evaluate information.
- Knowledge of interviewing techniques.
- Knowledge of the problems encountered in providing medical social work services.
- Knowledge of the social, financial, medical and other factors to be considered in identifying social service needs.
- Ability to develop and execute plans for medical and social services.
- Ability to provide assignments and instructions to assigned employees.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, patients and others involved with providing medical and social services.
- Ability to read and interpret agency laws, rules and regulations and apply them to specific situations.
- Ability to identify social service’s needs, and the programs available to meet them.
- Ability to gather, analyze and evaluate data.
- Ability to prepare social case histories and other reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain essential records and files.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.