POSITION TITLE: COVID Response Lead (Temp Services)
DEPARTMENT: Department of Health
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be City of Newark Residents.
SALARY RANGE: $85,000.00 - $90,000.00
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
In conjunction with the State of New Jersey’s COVID-19 response, the City of Newark is addressing COVID-19 with a comprehensive effort to test, trace, treat and support residents. In partnership with Partners in Health, the City is committed to contacting every person diagnosed with COVID-19 and anyone who might have been exposed to COVID-19, providing the testing and support needed to stop the spread and save lives.
To date, nearly 60,000 tests have been administered in the City of Newark across a range of sites operated by hospitals, third parties on behalf of the City of Newark or Newark Housing Authority and its partners. In addition, Newark has traced over 5,000 of its cases and has rolled out one of the most comprehensive, data-driven, non-invasive contact tracing programs in the country in collaboration with organizations like Partners in Health and the Rutgers Global Health Initiative (RGHI).
For many individuals diagnosed/exposed to COVID-19, social support (ranging from access to food and PPE to mental health services) is needed to help enable effective isolation/quarantine. In order to best support residents diagnosed with or exposed to COVID-19 during this time, the City of Newark’s Department of Health is hiring a small team of COVID Care Resource Coordinators (CRCs) to support positive cases and exposed contacts who have expressed interest in social support.
The COVID Operations Director will further advance Mayor Baraka and the Department of Health and Community Wellness’ initiative to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, by overseeing the test-trace-treat response. The Operations Director, in close collaboration with the Director of the Department of Health and Community Wellness, will oversee staff, and lead project management and budget management for the response. This is a fast-paced and dynamic role that requires flexibility, rigorous management,
The Deputy Director of Operations will oversee 3+ supervisors/managers who will jointly be responsible for oversight of a Labs Coordinator, 10+ Contact Tracers, 5+ Case Investigators, 10+ COVID Care Resource Coordinators and an Epidemiologist, all working remotely. The Lab Coordinator will be responsible for liaising on behalf of the City and managing relationships with vendors and labs testing for COVID-19 (monitoring how they perform intake and data entry, recording information, contacting clients, etc.) The team of Contact Tracers and Case Investigators will be primarily responsible for calling all contacts of anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 to do a symptom check, refer them for testing, and provide them with instructions for quarantine.
- Participate in senior management meetings related to the COVID-19 response
- Create a detailed project management plan and other project documents to support implementation and coordination across the testing, tracing and care coordination pillars.
- Manage project work-plan, organizing input from key stakeholders, and ensuring alignment with budget and project objectives.
- Ensure coordination of Newark plan with the state COVID response
- Set KPIs and performance metrics and manage the team toward key performance indicators that are quantitative and qualitative in nature.
- Produce project deliverables, including reports and analytics.
- Develop, implement and review operational policies and procedures.
- Make decisions related to project operations.
- Support teams to develop materials related to training of project staff and support training implementation.
- Maintain daily contact with management team, coordinating the implementation team throughout all project phases.
- Identify and address challenges and opportunities. Troubleshoot issues with management team.
- Promote a culture of collaboration by openly connecting across the landscape of City government, hospital systems, and community-based organization partners.
- Manage budget for the project in collaboration with finance teams with oversight from Team Lead, using expenditures and activity timelines to inform spending forecast.
- Support recruitment and onboarding of project staff, in collaboration with Human Resources team.
- Track COVID-related health challenges revealed through the test-trace-treat process (e.g. decrease in childhood immunizations)
- Perform other relevant, project-related duties as needed, with a flexible, helpful attitude.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Prior project management and budget management experience
- Familiarity with Newark social services and/or health systems
- Professional, collaborative spirit and positive attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse individuals during a time of crisis and distress
- Experience supervising teams in complex, fast-changing environments
- Experience managing projects that involve multiple stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, planning and documentation skills
- Critical thinking and ability to make informed decisions
- Commitment to taking initiative to solve problems and follow-through
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel; experience in other data synthesis and visualization software (e.g., PowerBI, Tableau) a plus
- Ability to speak, read, and write English; second or multiple languages is an advantage
- Must have access to good/reliable Wi-Fi