- Under supervision of a supervisory official in a state department, institution, or agency, is responsible for assigned work programs of the Office of Public Communications; does related work as required.
- The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Serve as official spokesperson and liaison for all media
- Crafts press materials including press advisories, press releases, statements, talking points, and reviews and writes op-eds, and speeches
- Coordinates and manages the daily exchange with members of the press
- Develops local media strategy and execution in coordination with Communications Director
- Manages press conferences and media outlets at press events
- Pitches media coverage and stories
- Leads work involved in the preparation and distribution of news advisories/releases, feature news stories, and other informative materials designed to acquaint the media and general public with the functions, aims, programs, and policiesof the City
- Reviews, evaluates, and writes speeches, op-ed articles, newspaper and magazine articles on all issues relevant to Newark municipal government.
- Prepare briefing documents for Mayor’s interviews, staff Mayor, and provides press advance as needed; prep directors for interviews when applicable
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in media relations, communications, or a related field demonstrating an increasing scope of work and responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Being a strong writer, who can tell a story clearly and concisely is a must, as is attention to detail and a clear ability to synthesize complex information for general audiences.
- Prior experience simultaneously managing multiple projects and competing priorities in an effective way.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, often under short and shifting deadlines and in high-pressure situations.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours.
- Prior New Jersey/New York region press experience and/or prior government, legislative, and/or public affairs communications experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to effectively work with a team and independently, and capable of interacting with a broad range of individuals.
- Proficiency in the English language. Written and verbal fluency in at least one non-English language highly desired, but not required.
- Creative thinker and ability to be flexible.
To apply, please send resume to PRESSOFFICE@CI.NEWARK.NJ.US with "Press Secretary Application - Name" in the Subject Line