• Provide technical analysis to advise the strategic direction for Newark’s sustainability agenda
• Support implementation of existing policies,programs, and priorities, as well as identifying and developing new initiatives related to Newark’s sustainability agenda.
• Analyze a variety of data and research to generate policy solutions and identify trends.
• Track, measure, analyze and evaluate data to generate policy solutions and identify trends especially with respect to City of Newark and community-wide greenhouse gas emissions.
• Generate relevant bench marking reports to inform evidence-based climate emissions mitigation and adaptation projects and programs.
• Assist Chief Sustainability Officer and Sustainability Team in promoting and executing municipal and community initiatives and related policies by conducting research on policy issues and best practices.
• Evaluate costs and benefits of implementing climate action initiatives; identify strategies for cost-effective implementation of city-wide sustainability programs and initiatives.
• Facilitate data sharing and reporting in conjunction with members of interdepartmental Sustainability Team to ensure progress toward sustainability benchmarks in key departments and across city government under direction of Chief Sustainability Officer.
• Collaborate with the administration, directors,and staff in all city departments to identify and pursue opportunities that increase operational efficiency and environmental stewardship within City government and the Community under direction of Chief Sustainability Officer.
• Work with the Newark Environmental Commission,the Newark Green Team, and community organizations to advance sustainability initiatives in Newark’s neighborhoods, businesses, and institutions.
• Recruit and supervise student interns, and enable climate preparedness and greenhouse gas mitigation-related educational and work opportunities for Newark youth.
• Coordinate public education for Office of Sustainability, including integrating website updates, brochures, speaking engagements, writing press releases and advertisements, leading tours,television (Government Channel) information, etc.
• Present information to internal staff, appointed bodies and community groups as needed.
• Receive and respond to feedback from constituents as related to strategic planning and program implementation under direction of the Chief Sustainability Officer.
• Schedule meetings and appointments, follow-up on ongoing projects.
• Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of his or her own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
• Support the preparation of reports for the Mayor and Municipal Council on progress made, and make information available so the community can track Newark’s performance in achieving climate and sustainability goals. Support Chief Sustainability Officer in managing technical assistance, professional service, and grant contracts, ensuring they meet all project objectives and oversight requirements.
• Track budgets, encumbrances, and expenditures for sustainability projects with multiple funding sources including CIP,grants, government loans, and restricted use City revenues.
• Maintain files, media, image, and digital library for the Office of Sustainability.
• Manage, create and update website information for the Office of Sustainability website and social media.
• Answer phone for listed duties. Resolve a wide variety of situations, either by researching and/or answering questions personally or forwarding to appropriate person.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Engineering,Planning, Architecture, Environmental Science, Sustainability or a related field from a college or university. One year of related experience preferred.
2. Valid Driver's License.
3. Excellent oral communication, writing, and presentation skills.
4. Must have knowledge of sustainability topics such as: climate change and adaptation, greenhouse gas emissions,transportation alternatives, waste reduction, sustainability food systems,water protection and other localized environmental and economic stressors.
5. Deep commitment to environmental justice and a passion for advancing social equity through environmental stewardship, public health, and sustainable urban development.
6. Strong project management skills, including ability to prioritize, multi-task, and delegate as appropriate. Must be able to meet required deadlines while working on a variety of projects.
7. Must have capacity to work as a team member and leader as well as ability to work independently.
8. Must have ability to compile and analyze data with great attention to detail from a variety of sources in order to prepare clear,accurate reports from such information.
9. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general planning periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations.
10. Ability to write professional reports and business correspondence.
11. Ability to prepare synthesis of technical information to lay public, and respond to questions from groups of managers,customers and the general public.
12. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions in order to calculate and compare return-on-investment and payback of different alternatives.
13. Must be proficient in the use of a computer and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications. Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment.
14. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to move from location to location and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required to accomplish computer and office work.
1. Familiarity with Newark or with a comparable city strongly preferred.
2. Must have ability to learn ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, ArcView, and/or Tableau mapping software within 6 months of hire.
3. Proficiency with design software such as AdobePhotoshop or InDesign preferred.
4. Ability to inspire passion and commitment for sustainability in others.
5. Demonstrated experience finding creative solutions to achieve results with limited resources.
6. Demonstrated skills in working across sectors and demographics, breaking down siloes, and facilitating coalition-based action.
7. Ability to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships, including operational staff, advocates and activists, government officials, and local businesses and institutions.
Position is full-time (35-hour workweek) with salary and benefits. The candidate would be expected to start on October 1, 2019. To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, links to any relevant publications,websites, or online project descriptions, and contact information for three references to Nathaly Agosto Filión, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
NOTE: The City of Newark has a residency requirement for all public employees. The successful applicant must establish a principal residence in the City of Newark within six months of effective date of employment.