Under direction performs varied simple and routine tasks involved in
the cleaning of buildings; does other related duties as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Cleans offices, storerooms, corridors, stairways, and other areas. Sweeps, dry mops, scrubs, waxes, and polishes floors using brooms, mops, lightweight vacuum cleaners, and lightweight floor scrubbers/buffers.
- Dusts, waxes, and polishes furniture.
- Empties wastebaskets.
- Polishes door knobs and other metal fixtures.
- Washes walls, windows, and blinds that can be reached without climbing as well as uses ladders or scaffolds from time to time.
- Keeps restrooms in clean, orderly, and sanitary condition.
- May lift and carry items weighing up to about 20 pounds 50 pounds.
- Cleans, disinfects, and deodorizes lavatories, urinals, and toilet bowls.
- Cleans mirrors, sinks, and water fountains.
- Dusts ledges and woodwork.
- Replaces deodorizers, toilet tissue, hand towels, and soap.
- Notes condition of restroom and reports to supervisor broken windows,water leaks, clogged drains, and other conditions requiring maintenance.
- Keeps a stock of cleaning materials/equipment needed to do the work.
- Tells supervisor when more materials are needed or when equipment is in need of repair or replacement.
- Under supervision, performs varied types of manual and unskilled laboring work, and may drive a truck in connection with laboring work on occasion; does other related duties as required.
- Cuts grass.
- Trims hedges.
- Waters lawns, flowers, and vegetable beds.
- Shovels snow.
- Whitewashes walls.
- May perform the routine work involved in painting of interior and exterior.
- Loads debris into truck for removal.
- Must sweep ground outside municipal Buildings at least twice daily.
- Paints walls as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the methods, materials and supplies used to perform varied types of manual and unskilled tasks.
- Ability to perform manual tasks either alone or as a member of a group.
- Ability to follow prescribed instructions.
- Ability to learn to use the tools and equipment needed to perform routine, unskilled labor tasks.
- Ability to follow safety precautions in the operation of assigned tools and equipment.